Adoptable Cats at BENCHS and PetSmart in Mankato
Cat Adoption Process
- All cats and kittens currently available at our shelter are displayed on this page. You can click or tap on an animal’s photo to view additional images and learn more about them. This page is updated in real time.
- You are welcome to visit BENCHS during Adoption Hours and view the cats and kittens in their condos.
- If you want to interact with the cats, you need to be approved for adoption.
- If you have not been approved to adopt a cat from BENCHS in the last couple of years, you will need to complete a Cat Pre-Adoption Form.
- If you have already been approved for adoption, please update your information. If you are unable to update your previous submission, please email our Animal Coordinator and a staff member will contact you as soon as possible.
The purpose of this form is to give BENCHS information about you as a pet owner. By listing which animal(s) you are interested in, our staff will get an idea of what type of pet you are looking for. Because we typically receive multiple adopters expressing interest in the same animal, there is no guarantee the animal(s) you listed will be available for you to meet and/or adopt. Our pet population changes rapidly so we cannot guarantee the animals listed will be available.
- Staff will review your information and contact you to review and/or approve you for adoption. BENCHS does reserve the right to deny adoption approval to anyone, for any reason.
- After you have been approved to adopt from BENCHS, you may interact with available cats and kittens in their condos or in our larger playroom, Buster’s Legacy during Adoption Hours. No appointment is needed in order to interact with or adopt our available cats or kittens. If you can’t make it during adoption hours, email staff to see if they are able to accommodate your schedule.
- We complete all adoptions digitally, so we can either text a checkout link to your mobile phone or you can complete the process using one of our devices.
- Before you come to meet your new furry friend, please know adopters are required to bring an appropriate sized pet carrier to bring their new cat home. If it will be a double adoption, adopters must bring two carriers, unless adopting a bonded pair. Cats and kittens CANNOT go home without a carrier, and will not be permitted to leave in a carrier that is too small for their size. We always want our adopted pets to have a safe and easy transition from shelter to happy home.
- Before the cats are able to go home, they are altered, vaccinated to age, and microchipped.
Working Cat Program
Every once in a while, BENCHS takes in some very independent-minded felines. They are healthy and adoptable, but not ideal indoor companions because they are not fully socialized to people or are unsuitable for traditional homes. They prefer the company of other animals and would be a great friend for other cats. Under-socialized cats do best living in a safe, managed living setting such as a warm shop, barn, stable, outbuilding or even a winery, brewery or studio, maybe a greenhouse, factory or warehouse.